Calm Your Tempeh

15/06/2016

Cyprus: A second home


Every year, my family go to Cyprus for a holiday. It's our destination of choice because my grandparents live there, and it's become a home away from home. I was born on the island (well, kind of - at one of the RAF bases!) so I've always felt a special connection to the country. Unfortunately I won't be visiting this year so won't be able to experience the joy Cyprus brings me, so I decided to express my love for the country in a blog post instead.


Cyprus has some stunning views, and these have always been one of my favourite things about it. The landscape is eerily beautiful, with rolling hills and sun-bleached cliffs comprising the majority of car journeys. You can also see some amazing wildlife, including beautiful wild flowers and other interesting plants. You might even see a snake if you're lucky! Most people visit for the hot weather and golden beaches, but I definitely recommend exploring beyond tourist hotspots if you're able to. I love the old towns, as they're a great place to learn about the history of the island.



Although it is a beautiful country with a climate to die for, I wouldn't go as far as to say Cyprus is paradise - like any other country, it has its flaws. For example, there are a lot of stray cats around, and it can be quite distressing for animal lovers who don't want to leave their adopted babies behind! The cats are quite damaging to local wildlife and can even spread diseases, so why not help out by donating to local charities that aim to spay and neuter stray cats?



If I had to give three tips for people planning to visit Cyprus, it'd be these:

  1. Don't be afraid to eat at traditional tavernas. You'll be able to get a slice of local life and experience part of the culture, all while eating delicious food! They're surprisingly accommodating for vegans once you explain what it means, especially if you order a meze - expect things like humous, tahini, pita bread, dolma, potatoes and vegetables.
  2. Buy a watermelon from a roadside vendor. These local watermelons are the best I've ever had, as they're sweet and juicy. You're also supporting a local farmer and keeping your food's air miles low.
  3. Visit the Troodos mountains. It may seem like a strange suggestion since the beaches are the main attraction, but trust me when I say it's worth it. The cool air will be a welcome change from the summer heat, and you may even find a waterfall or two.


Have you been to Cyprus? What was your favourite thing about the island? I'd love to know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)