Calm Your Tempeh

07/05/2018

Japanese food in Brighton

The old pier at sunset

With over 150 eateries and shops listed on Happy Cow, Brighton is an absolute field day for vegans and vegetarians. There are also an abundance of Japanese restaurants in Brighton. Yet the crossover between the two seems relatively weak - the Japanese-owned restaurants do not appear on Happy Cow's listings. As I spent the week with two omnivores, I tried my luck at a few places!

Goemon Ramen Bar

Goemon's soya milk ramen

Goemon Ramen Bar is on Preston Street, just back from the seafront. It's about a five minute walk of most of the seafront hotels and easily accessible by bus. It has a stylish, sleek interior yet is fairly cosy due to its small size - there are about eight tables.

The little ramen bar ended up being a favourite among us, and it appears to be a favourite amongst Japanese people who visit Brighton. Their menu is extensive, but doesn't slack on vegan options with three mains and a few sides to choose from. Their portion sizes are definitely worth the money, with the medium priced at about £8 and enough to fill up the hungriest person.

I tried the soya milk ramen, which was absolutely delicious! I've also been reliably informed that their vegan miso ramen is even better, but unfortunately I didn't get the chance to try it. Their tea tasted fresh and was a lovely way to warm up after being caught in the rain, although it was a little pricey at almost £2.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend Goemon Ramen Bar. 10/10!


Pompoko

Sweet chilli tofu at Pompoko

Pompoko is in the middle of the Lanes, right near the famous music shop GAK. It feels very authentic thanks to its traditional decor and Japanese staff. It is however a little cramped!

There were a few vegan options on the menu, including BBQ sesame or sweet chilli tofu. I was told that all of the vegetarian options are vegan, unless a non-vegan ingredient such as honey specified. Pricing is cheap for central Brighton, at about £5 for a vegan main.

The food itself was okay - the sauce was a little too sweet, but I think I'm just fussy about my sweet chilli! I'm definitely more of a spicy fan than a sweet fan. My food buddies told me that their non-vegan choices were great. I'd definitely recommend it for the experience alone.


I'd love to know your thoughts if you've eaten at either of these restaurants regardless of your lifestyle, so please leave a comment! I hope you have a wonderful day!

Our friend Sam made a vlog about Japanese food in the UK, which you can view here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)