Calm Your Tempeh

27/07/2016

Linda McCartney Vegetarian Quarter Pounder Review



If there's one thing I love in life, it's a hefty burger. I'm in love with all kinds of vegan burgers - bean burgers, veggie burgers, mushroom burgers, and especially meat replacements. So I'm sure you can imagine that I was pretty excited when I finally found Linda McCartney's vegan quarter pounder burgers in my local shop!


I was a little thrown off while cooking them because they let out loads of juice, which slightly resembled the juices from real burgers! But I took this as a sign of things to come. My logic is that if they let out juice like a real burger, they should be just as realistic to eat. I had mine with Violife cheddar "cheese" and Plamil garlic vegan mayo, which are my go-to burger toppings, although I wish I'd had some greens and tomatoes too.

My boyfriend and I gave mixed reviews on the taste. These burgers are 9% onion, and have onion powder added too, so I'm sure you can guess what the dominant taste was. The other ingredients, such as yeast extract and garlic, do help to balance out the flavour and make it more meaty, but you can't avoid the onion undertones. I love onions and also loved these burgers, but my boyfriend hates them with a passion and so wasn't a massive fan.

These burgers were soft but slightly chewy and beautifully succulent, giving them a worryingly realistic texture. I often joke that I had to double check the vegan Quorn burgers to make sure they were actually vegan, but I had to triple check with these! They were very close to the real thing, so they'd make a great transitioning product.

It's worth noting that these burgers are quite expensive at £2 for two burgers, as meat burgers price at £2 for four. It's unsurprising that I'm happy to pay extra as a dedicated vegan, but I really do think they're worth the money. As well as being perfect for us vegans and veggies, they're also an excellent healthy alternative for non-veggies; a beef quarter pounder patty generally has around 7g of saturated fat whereas this one only has 0.9g, but they match on protein content. All of the nutrition with none of the cruelty!

I'd definitely recommend these as an occasional treat, or as a delicious way of surprising (and possibly converting!) your omnivore friends and family. It'll also be perfect for the lovely people just starting their vegan journeys. However, you may want to avoid this product if you don't like onions!

Linda McCartney vegetarian quarter pounder burgers are available at Sainsbury's and Waitrose, or online at Ocado.


Have you tried these burgers yet? Let me know what you think down in the comments, and have a great day!

- Bethan

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)