Calm Your Tempeh

20/07/2016

Trip to Margate

The other day, I took a trip to Margate with my grandad. We didn’t plan out the day at all, so we ended up wandering around aimlessly. Last time I went there was several years ago for a gig, so I had no idea what to expect, but we still managed to find some exciting things!



Margate has much more street art and installations than we expected. There is some beautiful graffiti-style art featuring Superman near Dreamland, although this was just one of many murals around the town. Another highlight was an installation of flowers, with a blackboard and letterboxes allowing people to write down what worries them. I love interactive pieces like that because they really help to engage people in the world around them, and wish my local area had more.



We also had a look at the Shell Grotto. This surreal cave dates back to ancient times, and its purpose is still unknown. The intricate designs on the walls and ceilings are all made of different types of shells. Although it’s only small and does have an entrance fee, it’s well worth a look if history is your thing. There’s also an excellent gift shop selling all sorts of shells and gemstones, so I picked up a chunk of labradorite.



The main attraction for me was Seaside Cake Parlour, an entirely vegan café run by a former colleague of mine. In my eyes, it’s the perfect café – cute vintage décor with food to die for. I decided to have an avocado and mayo bagel, which came filled with fresh salad, followed by a Victoria sponge cake. The cake was perfectly soft and tasted amazing! My grandad had a scone, which he said was the best he’s had in a while, and a small pastry. Considering how much we ordered, the price was very reasonable. I’d definitely recommend Seaside Cake Parlour as a must-visit in Margate.




Finally, we had a look around the shops. There is a great selection of excellent vintage clothing shops and quirky secondhand stores there. My favourite was Madam Popoff – partially for the amazing selection, partially for the hilarious name! The number of vintage furniture shops was impressive, and most had some very interesting pieces.

And finally, what is a trip to the seaside without a visit to the beach? It seems to have been dramatically improved since I was last there, and was a stunning sandy beach with adorable beach huts and even a little funfair. It reminded me how lucky I am to live in Kent – so close to London, the coast and the countryside all at once.


What’s your favourite seaside town? I’d love to know in the comments! Have a wonderful day.


- Bethan

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind? :)